The College of Science and Engineering (CSE) Mentor Program facilitates
a relationship between current students and their mentors through
proactive communication. Its purpose is to better prepare students for
successful careers and strengthen the relationship between the college
and its volunteers, students, and alumni. It is also the goal of the
program to assist students with the transition from college life to the
The degree and career information provided in the following
registration form will be used by students to choose the mentor they
feel best fits their needs and goals during the matching process.
Matching is done this way to enhance the quality of the relationship
and to ensure that both parties will be able to come away from the
relationship feeling like it was a meaningful use of their time. Mentors
who register are not guaranteed a match, as it will depend on the number
and career interests of students who register for the program.
If a student chooses you to be their mentor, you will receive
confirmation of the match in early October along with information
about the CSE Mentor Program kickoff activities that will take place
in late October. More information will be sent to program participants
once details are finalized.
- Notify staff if you have an issue or there is a change in your
schedule and priorities as soon as possible.
- Have a minimum of two contacts, initiated by the mentee, per month
between October 2023 and April 2024.
- Respond to all communications from your mentee or program staff in
a timely and professional manner (ideally within 48 - 72 hours). Most
program staff communications will be via email, so please plan on
checking your email regularly.
- Represent your career or degree area, reflecting your profession's
attitudes, concerns, and insights.
- Serve as a representative of your employer by introducing your
mentee to your company or industry.
- Approach the program and your mentee with an open mind,
professionalism, and respect. Try not to make assumptions about your
partner too early as it can take time to build an open and trusting
- Assist your mentee in identifying meaningful and realistic
- Model and coach professional behavior to set the example for your
mentee and provide constructive feedback as needed.
- Communicate effectively and consistently, including sharing your
schedule and other priorities.
- Make an effort to participate in the CSE Mentor Program kickoff
activities with your mentee, as they will provide a valuable foundation
for building a relationship.
By selecting "Next" I acknowledge and accept the expectations
and responsibilities for the CSE Mentor Program.